Monday, January 30, 2012

Overtraining and Airplanes

This was an eventful week for me.  My wife came to visit this past weekend, so we went exploring the Virginia Beach area.  I would have to say we had a blast.  We went to the beach, explored the local state park, checked out some navy planes, and enjoyed a lot of great sea food.  One of the best places we ate at was Trilogy Bistro, so if you're ever in the Norfolk area give it a try.  My training on the other hand was not so eventful.

Trilogy Bistro which use to be an old bank

Last week I did great and really put in a lot of miles.  I think it may have been to many too soon though.  Monday was a much needed off day from training.  I was tired and really needed the break so it was perfectly place.  The only problem is I wasn't ready to go running on tuesday.  I was still pretty worn out and by the end of the day I really didn't want to run.  I had talked with Trey that previous weekend and he gave me some words of encouragement that really stuck with me.  As I headed out the door I wasn't feeling great, but I was happy that I had started my run.  Overall it was a pretty good run.  It started slow, but as I came to the end of my run I was feeling much better.  I went to bed early and was hoping that if I got a little extra sleep that night I would feel well rested in the morning.  That couldn't have been farther from the truth.  Wednesday sucked.  I was exhausted all day and I felt like I had only slept for 3-4 hours.  My feet were killing me and I kept finding myself sitting down trying to take the pressure off my knees and feet.  It didn't feel like an injury just like I had been standing for 3 days straight.  That evening came and I was not ready for a run.  All I wanted to do was go to sleep, so I decided to listen to my body and took wednesday off as well.  I had a rest day already planned for thursday, but the more I thought about it the more I think we started with too high of a volume for my first week.  Sometimes I catch myself pushing to hard early on trying to make up for lost time.  The problem is that it's not a sprint it's a marathon (pun intended).  Lost time is lost and all you can do is make the best of what you have left.  I made the decision to take wednesday off as well to try and give my body a little more time to recover.

Carolyn next to one of the planes on base

Here's where the life decision come into play.  My wife came to visit me for the weekend after 3 weeks of being apart and I would have to say excited wasn't enough to describe how I felt.  On my way to the airport I started to think about my training for the weekend and if I thought I would be able to accomplish it.  There are a few things that can distract me in life and my wife is always at the top of this list.  I knew when she got here all I would want to do was spend every waking second with her, so I made the decision to make my training for this weekend a second priority.  It's not that I wanted an excuse or that I didn't understand that I don't have a ton of time before this marathon, it's just that I understand there are more important things in my life.  I wanted to spend time with Carolyn and I didn't want to take an hour or two from her each day this weekend.  If I had time to get out the door and go run I would and if not I would enjoy the time with my wife and head out the door on monday.  That's exactly what happened and I'm perfectly fine with it.

another one of the planes on the base

So needless to say it was a short week of training.  I had one run on tuesday and other than that I was pretty inactive.  I don't feel like I wasted my time though.  I listened to my body and I payed attention to my priorities.  I'm still incredibly motivated and I know this week I'll be able to finish all my workouts.  I took a look at my training plan for the next couple weeks so I could talk to Trey about reducing my milage and it seems like he knew what was going on before I had even said anything.  He had already reduce my milage for the next couple weeks while still putting together a pretty aggressive training plan.  It looks like something that I can handle so I'm excited about getting back into the swing of things.

On another note I've got another product review coming up!  Can you guess what it is?


Here's another clue.


No?  Well I guess you're just going to have to keep an eye out later in the week to see what it's all about!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Listening to your body is key. Training plans are kinetic structures built by a coach and put into motion by an athlete. You made the right choices, this week. I would suggest, though, on days you have a scheduled run and you may not feel up to the task to reduce the run by 50% and give it a shot. After two 'active' self-scheduled off days you don't feel recovered than take the full day off.

As far as knowing we may have started a little strong, I've got faith in your abilities. It's just going to take a little nudging to get them back to speaking 'Trey Shape'.