Saturday, February 4, 2012

Nathan HPL #020 Review

So here it is, my next review!  I've been wanting a hydration pack for a while now.  I hate to admit it, but some of the main reasons I want one has nothing to do with water consumption.  I've found myself in multiple location where I just really wanted a camera to capture how beautiful it is.  A light pack could solve this issue.  Now that it's getting cold out I finding myself starting runs with more layers on at the start of my run than at the end.  A pack would be a great place to put all this extra gear.  Now that I'm going to be having 2-3 hour runs it would be nice to have a pack with water in it.  Plus what if I find some cool stuff on the side of the road that I want to take home... ok maybe not so much that last reason, but it could be a valid point.  I've never been a big fan of running with water, but I have noticed when I do I feel better.  There's a common saying that you should train like you race, and if I plan on drinking water while I race I should probably get use to doing it while I train.  So all the above considered I started my quest to find a pack that fit my needs and this is what I came up with.


The Nathan HPL #020 is marketed as a race vest.  It's light, coming in at 10 oz without any water in it.  It's compact so it doesn't feel like your going on a 3 week hike through the mountains when you go out for a run.  It has a couple extra pockets for gear, camera, phones, keys, ect.  It also has a really cool sales pitch; a 3-way propulsion harness.  I mean come on that just sounds cool!  The idea behind it is that it moves with you and helps to eliminate pressure points on your shoulders.  It's suppose to go back and forth with your shoulders and torso so you don't get any bouncing or swaying from side to side.  It's a pretty cool concept and though I've never run with a hydration pack before I could only image the swaying you could get.  I mean come on who hasn't had to run to the bus stop with their book bag on?  Not the same thing? Well whatever you get the point.

This is the core of the 3-way propulsion harness

Without ever trying other hydration packs I would still have to say this pack lives up to it's claims.  It feels very light on the shoulders.  Almost too light.  It took me a while to get use to not having any pressure on my shoulders even with the 2L bladder completely full. It took me a couple runs to get it fit just right.  There were no fitting instructing that came with the pack and the website didn't have any so I had to do a couple trail fits before I found that perfect fit.  Once I got it fit just right, it didn't feel like it moved back and forth at all, and if it wasn't for the swishing sound of the water in my pack I would have forgotten it was there.


It has an vertically adjustable sternum strap which is a cool idea, but it doesn't lock in place.  So when you find where you like the strap it inevitably it can ends up sliding out of that position.  I may just superglue it in place, but I would rather not have to do that.  I did notice once I got the fit a little more "tuned in" the strap hardly moved at all, though again there are no instructions on how to fit the pack just right.











The pockets on this thing are awesome!  It seems to have just the right amount.  The largest pocket on the back fits keys, phone, ID, and some extra cash with room to spare.














The other pockets are on the shoulder strap and though I thought they could end up in my way they didn't.  I put my camera in one pocket and my sunglasses in the other pocket.  There is also a convenient pouch for gels and the such.

























The last thing that really stand out on this pack in the bite-valve.  I've seen some where they are really difficult to bite down on and get water out of.  This one works great.  It takes some pressure, but not so much that you feel like you're chewing on a rock and no so little that it feels like the water could drip out.

I still haven't gotten to use the shock cord with one-pull tension lock, but it's another feature I'm excited about.  It's just been to warm here for me to use any of my winter clothes yet.  Overall I am very happy with this pack.  It's light, it doesn't move around that much, it's compact but still has storage room, and it feels like it's very well constructed.  I'm hoping to have many more miles of enjoyment out of this pack!

No comments: