Saturday, January 14, 2012

New Place and New Goals

This weeks training was... uneventful.  I started a clerkship at the Naval hospital in Portsmouth this week, which needless to say has taken up a lot of my time.  Training in the morning is pretty much off limits since I've been up at 5am almost every day to get to the hospital on time.  This means I have to do my training in the evening and needless to say it's been more difficult than I expected.  I'm use to having longer breaks in the middle of the day where I can fit my training in, but now that I'm working a normal 8 hour day I have to set aside some time later on in the day.  This is way harder than I thought it would be.  It seems like every time I get home I have errands I need to run or I am just to tired (lazy) to go out a run.  I blame a lot of it on being in a new place and having to deal with all that comes along with that, but in the end I had the time and should have gone out even for a short run.  This isn't me beating myself up, it's me being honest.  I don't like excuses and I think everyone should at least be honest with themselves.  It's the only way to really improve yourself.

I did get out the door today and had a amazing three mile run.  It was a great reminder that one of my favorite ways to explore a new area is to go out for a run.  You get to really take in everything and see a lot of the areas you wouldn't normally see driving.  The beach is less than a mile from where I'm staying and I haven't been there yet, so I headed down to the beach for my first run here.  It was amazing out there.  There was almost no one on the beach and I really felt like I was by myself.  When I got back I was revitalized and started to think about my season coming up.  The first triathlon I do is normally in april.  There is also a marathon in march the weekend I head back to atlanta that Trey and I had talked about.  The more I think about it the more I really want to do it.  It really would be great to be in marathon shape before my triathlon season even starts.  I also like that I'll have a sort term goal to focus on and keep me motivated.  Three months is enough time to train for a marathon, but I will have to be incredibly dedicated.  I can't miss more than a couple days of training if I really want to be able to do this. So now my next step is to call Trey up and work on a training plan for the next three months.  Hopefully after that I'll have a marathon under my belt before the triathlon season even starts.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm glad to read you're back to being motivated to run, man. I'll hit you up tomorrow and we'll talk.