Monday, August 11, 2008

To be inspired, to feel a greater calling, to see a new way of life.

With the Olympics going on right now we are reminded almost daily of what inspiration really is.  With the motto of the Olympics being “Citius, Altius, Fortius”, meaning swifter, higher, stronger, it’s obvious that it should bring out not just the best, but the extraordinary in people.  We get to watch athletes like Michael Phelps, Shawn Johnson, and Bernard Lagat inspire us and strive not only for greatness but for eternal glory.  To be remembered beyond death is the only way to truly know that you have inspired not only your generation but their children’s children who will hear your story and dream of reaching such greatness.

            So is this ability to inspire reserved only for the greatest of us, the few who are able to perform beyond what seems humanly possible, or can an everyday man do something inspirational enough to convince those around him that greatness can be found in not just the ability to perform the impossible but also found in the desire for and unending pursuit of greatness? 

I have always watched the great endurance athletes of our time and dreamed of having their talents and physical gifts, but have never come close to running a sub 15 minute 5k or completing a marathon in under 2 hours.  So instead of looking for inspiration in what I can never achieve I want to look for inspiration in the dedication of these amazing athletes.  The day in and day out decision to perform to the best of their ability.  The endless miles and hours they spend alone not competing with other athletes but with themselves.  I want to be able to overcome my own hesitations and barriers and become inspirational with my dedication and commitment to continue on day in and day out.

I have always had a passion, a love for running.  There is something freeing about it.  When it is just you out there on the road your only barrier is yourself.  These barriers may hide as long hills, bad weather, injuries, hangovers, or time away from friends and family, but in the end the barrier truly is only yourself.  I haven’t been a consistent runner in several years and my desire now is to get back to what I loved.  I hope that through this goal I can inspire others to pick up old passions that made them happy and content with themselves regardless of what it was.  So this will be my path, my journey, and my struggle to inspiration.

No comments: